Service relocations

Construction Hints & Information | Notification & Construction Process
History of Board Action | Frequently Asked Questions| Financial Assistance Information

May 12, 2017 - At the May Board of Directors meeting, the Board acted to align deadlines for water service relocations with the main line being abandoned, instead of by street.  For example, this means that the deadline for relocation for the properties on the south side of Dolly Varden will be the same as those on the north side of Loch Levon because those properties currently share a line.  The map and list of deadlines is being revised.


Download a PDF Copy of the Map


Future projects will be listed in the District’s Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) document.

The next planned water main relocation project is Summer 2018 where the District will put water mains in Loch Levon Avenue and Steelhead Avenue.  This will allow the District to turn off the old lines between Dolly Varden and Loch Levon and Loch Levon and Steelhead in the Fall of 2020.

Chapter 5 of the Code of Ordinances. Policy regarding service relocations.


Construction Hints and Information

In order to assist you in performing this construction, the District is providing the information below.  This is sent to each property owner when their street is scheduled for water or sewer main replacement that will necessitate moving of their services from the back yard to the front yard.  

If you are doing construction, paving, landscaping or any other significant work in the front of your property and the District has not relocated the main to the street, it is highly recommended that you install a dry line in the location that you wish the service to go through your property.  

If you decide to have a contractor perform this work for you, please provide this information to your contractor as well.  A list of local excavating and plumbing contractors is available from the District.  Connection to the new main and construction of private property services must be completed within two (2) construction seasons after construction has been completed.  The final relocation date is set by the District’s Board of Directors.  

Possible Permits Needed:
It is the responsibility of the property owner and their contractor to comply with any and all permits required for the installation of the new services.

  • Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA)
    • Exempt Activity – excavating 3 cubic yards of soil or less;
    • Qualified Exempt Activity – excavating 3 - 7 cubic yards of soil; or
    • Grading Project Application – excavating greater than 7 cubic yards of soil.

Applications for these permits are available at, or TRPA can be contacted at 775-588-4547.

  • Placer County Building Department
    • If a property owner connects their new water service under their house and reconfigures the plumbing, then a Building Permit is needed from Placer County.
    • However, if a property owner connects their new water service outside of the foundation, no Placer County Building Department permit is needed. 
    • Contact information for the Placer County Building Department is listed below:

Auburn Office:
3091 County Center Drive

Auburn, CA 95603
Phone: 530-745-3010
FAX: 530-745-3058


Tahoe Office: 

775 North Lake Blvd.

Tahoe City, CA 96145 

Phone: 530-581-6200 

FAX: 530-581-6204


  • Best Management Practices (BMPs)
    • Additionally, some property owners may want to consider installing their permanent private property BMPs in order to prevent storm water runoff from their property.   For more information, please contact:

Step by Step Notification and Construction Process

  • Prior to going to bid on a project that will require the relocation of services, the District will notify property owners of the upcoming project and hold a public hearing and notify property owners of that hearing.  If a dry line has already been installed on your property, it is recommended that you notify the District at this time so it is reflected in the construction plans.  
  • Prior to construction of the water or sewer main, the District will mark the proposed location of the service connection for your property.  At that time, property owners will receive a notification to review the location and if it is not acceptable to notify the District immediately.  
  • The NTPUD contractor will build new services from the new main to the front property line of each home in the project area.
    • If you cannot locate your new service box, please contact the District.  
  • The NTPUD contractor will install a customer-side shut off valve with a plug on the property side for the new front yard water service and a new property line cleanout box for the new sewer service.
  • At the time of connection, the property owner shall remove the plug/cap and connect to the point of connection.
  • The owner will then install a new service from their front yard to the house.  (Note: the new service may take any route along the property, depending on what the owner would prefer to do for cost, safety, or other reasons.)
    • Neighboring property owners may install their services in a “joint trench”, provided that their new water meters/cleanout boxes remain located at the front property line and the 2 service pipes are placed in the trench with a minimum horizontal separation of 1 foot.  Should either service cross the property line of the neighboring property, the owner will need to secure a legal easement from their neighbor, and provide a copy of that easement to the NTPUD.
    • The new services shall be installed per NTPUD rules and regulations.
  • After the owner’s new service is in place and before it is backfilled, the owner needs to call the NTPUD, at (530) 546-4212 to schedule an “Open Trench Inspection”, a minimum of two (2) business days in advance.
  • For waterline relocations, the owner will need to call the NTPUD Operations Department, at (530) 546-4212 to schedule the water meter relocation and water box removal, a minimum of two (2) business days in advance.
    • NTPUD will remove the existing water meter from the backyard water meter box and relocate it to the new front yard water meter box, at the expense of the NTPUD.  If a new or upsized water meter is required, the NTPUD will absorb the cost of the meter.  Additionally, NTPUD crews will perform the following items of work, at the expense of the NTPUD:
    • Cap the existing water services at both ends of the existing water meter box, using restrained fittings.  
    • Remove and dispose of existing water meter boxes.  
    • Install new or replacement ERTs, including possibly replacing post ERTs with pit ERTs to minimize the aesthetic impact.  (An ERT is a device that sends radio signals from the water meter to the District, so that District staff can get a monthly water usage reading without physically entering every property.  ERTs are the black boxes on metal posts currently in your backyards.)  
  • For sewerline relocations, a sewer pressure test is required.  The owner will need to call the NTPUD Operations Department, at (530) 546-4212 to schedule the sewer pressure test inspection, a minimum of two (2) business days in advance.
    • The NTPUD will waive the $200 sewer pressure test inspection fee for witnessing the test.
  • The owner will then need to have their existing service capped, either inside their house foundation or outside the foundation, before the service enters the house.

History of Board Action Related to Kings Beach Grid Water System Rehabilitation and Service Relocations

At their May 10, 2005 Board of Directors Meeting, the Board adopted Resolution 2005-8 which established policy direction related to the need for rehabilitation of the Kings Beach Grid Water System. It is with this resolution that Board direction was provided to staff that the responsibility to reconnect to new water or sewer mains in the front of the property is that of the property owner. It also laid out a process for developers of vacant properties in the grid to be allowed to connect to the existing system on an interim basis.  
Download Resolution 2005-8

At their November 13, 2006 meeting the Board of Directors adopted Ordinance 361 which indicates that the reconnection of a private sewer or water service lateral connection is the responsibility of each property owner to relocate the water service for their property at their own expense when connections are moved from the back yard to the front yard.  
Download Ordinance 361

At their August 14, 2007 the Board heard a presentation of the Kings Beach Grid Water System Rehabilitation Report by Auerbach Engineering. 

At their September 11, 2007 meeting, the Board of Directors adopted the Kings Beach Grid Water System Rehabilitation Technical Report.

Since that time, if a property owner is doing grading in the Kings Beach Grid or other places where a line is not in the street, staff notes on the response for that the District suggests that they install a dry line as part of their intended project.  

Financial Assistance Information

mPower - Property Assessed Clean Energy Financing (PACE)

Through mPower you can finance the waterline replacement as well as water or energy conservation projects, with a payback term of up to 10 years, and repay it through your annual property tax bill.

Click here for a one sheet of information on mPower

Visit the mPower website

Those interested in taking advantage of the mPower program must attend an mPower seminar as part of the application process.  Seminars have been scheduled for June 7 and August 13 at 5:30 PM at the North Tahoe Event Center and on July 28 at 3 PM at the Truckee Town Council Chambers.  

Local Bank Options

Both Bank of the West and Plumas Bank have indicated that they have a variety of loan products available.  


Frequently Asked Questions

Why is the District doing this project?

The District has existing aged and undersized water mains located in back yards outside of public right of ways, which the District has limited access in order to repair and maintain the infrastructure. These undersized mains are also not up to current standards and are insufficient for fire protection.

Why do “I” have to relocate my service? Why doesn’t the District do it for me or pay for it?

In 2006, the District Board of Directors adopted an Ordinance putting the responsibility for relocating private water services on the property owner at the property owner’s expense. The District’s obligation is to install the new main, fire hydrants, and service lines to the property. It is the customer’s obligation, both physically and financially, to relocate their private service line to the new point of connection. The end result is that public improvements are on public lands and private improvements are on private property.

How does the District determine meter locations?

Meter locations are based on what we feel are the most practical locations for each property, taking into consideration topography, landscaping, and property improvements.

My house is on the corner; how do I know if I am connected to the backyard main?

The District has meter location cards on file for all of our water customers. If you would like a copy of the location card for your property, please call our office at (530) 546-4212. One of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to send it to you.

Can I install my new service line before the District gets to my street?

Yes. The District encourages anyone planning on doing any excavation or other major work, such as extensive landscaping or paving, to install a “dry” water service line. The District will require an open trench inspection, at no charge, which we will use to note the location of your dry water service. Then, when we install the main in your street, we will connect to your dry service line. Please refer to our website,, for the step-by-step process and other valuable information.

What is the owner’s responsibility for connection?

The owner is required to install their new service line from the building to the new customer side shut-off valve provided at the street.

What is a “construction” season?

Per Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA) regulations, construction season is from May 1 to October 15.

How much will this cost me?

Feedback from local contractors is that many of these types of projects are an average of $3,000. However, the costs can vary depending on the following conditions:
• Asphalt
• Conflicting utilities
• Landscaping/Irrigation
• Access (fences, trees, buildings, etc.)
• Length of service required
• Rock
Things property owners can do to help reduce the costs are:
• Coordinating with your neighbors to use the same contractor at the same time
• Owner providing better access (removing fences, etc.)
• Digging trench yourself

Who can do this kind of work?

Either a properly licensed contractor or property owner.

Who does the District recommend to install my new service line?

As a public agency, the District cannot recommend a particular contractor to do private work. The District has a list of local plumbing and excavating contractors who have requested to be included on our list for this type of work. It is up to the individual property owners to verify licensure and references.

Can I do the work myself?

Yes, as long as the District’s standards are followed.

What inspections by the District are required?

The District requires an open trench inspection prior to backfilling the new trench.

How big does my trench need to be?

The depth of the trench needs to be 40” (4” of bedding material and 36” of cover over the water line).

When do I have to connect to the new point of service?

Property owners have up to two construction seasons after the new main is installed to connect to the new point of service. The final connection date is set by the Board for each project.

What permits might I need?

It is the responsibility of the property owner and their contractor to comply with any and all permits that may be required for the installation of the new water services. The following permits may be needed depending on the work involved:
• Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA)
-Exempt Activity – excavating 3 cubic yards of soil or less;
-Qualified Exempt Activity – excavating 3 - 7 cubic yards of soil; or
-Grading Project Application – excavating greater than 7 cubic yards of soil.
Note: TRPA permitting may take up to 120 days, so please plan accordingly.
• Placer County Building Department
-If a property owner connects their new water service under their house and reconfigures the plumbing, then a Building Permit is needed from Placer County.
-However, if a property owner connects their new water service outside of the foundation, no Placer County Building Department permit is needed.

What will happen if I don’t relocate my service by the deadline set by the Board?

At the end of the two year period, the District will be shutting down the backyard main. Any properties which have not relocated their private service lines will be disconnection from the water main.

What is the benefit to me?

• After everyone has reconnected to the new water main, the District will be releasing the backyard water easements, no longer encumbering the property (where possible)
• Improved water pressure for domestic use and fire protection
• More fire hydrants, which meet current standards
• System reliability