Service relocations

Construction Hints & Information | Notification & Construction Process Contractors
History of Board Action | Frequently Asked Questions| Financial Assistance Information


Project Updates are provided monthly during the construction season in the District's E-Newsletter.  Click here to sign up.  


Kings Beach Waterline Map
















The old lines between Dolly Varden and Loch Levon and Loch Levon and Steelhead will be turned off in the Fall of 2020.  All residents served from those lines will need to be connected to the new main in the front of the street. 

The next Grid project will be Golden Avenue, but timing is still TBD.  

The District has been working to complete a street approximately every two (2) years; but there can be many variables as to when we will do the project including funding, priority (water leaks, etc.), County-driven projects, opportunities to partner with other utilities, etc.  It is likely that all of the grid will be completed within the next 10 years.  

Chapter 10 of the Water Ordinance - Rules & regulations regarding water service relocations.
Chapter 8 of the Sewer Ordinance - Rules & regulations regarding sewer service relocations.

NTPUD New Water Mains

Construction Hints and Information

This information is provided to assist customers with the process for moving water or sewer services from the backyard to the front yard.  

If you live on a fish street in the Kings Beach Grid where the District has not yet relocated the main to the street, it is highly recommended that you install a dry line in the front of your property if you are doing any significant work in front of your property such as construction, paving, landscaping, etc. Truck, easement

Provide this information to any contractor that you may put under contract. A list of local excavating and plumbing contractors is available below.  Connection to the new main and construction of private property services must be completed by the deadline set by the District’s Board of Directors.

Click here for helpful information from mPower on finding a contractor.  

Possible Permits Needed:
It is the responsibility of the property owner and their contractor to comply with any and all permits required for the installation of the new services. The amount of soil disturbance and plumbing modification(s) required for your properties' specific condition determines the level of permitting needed.  

Placer County Grading Permit: Required for any grading/excavation work exceeding any of the below amounts (Placer Code 15.48.120):

  • Earthmoving > 3 cubic yards
  • Cut > 4 feet, and
  • Area of disturbance > 200 square feet

Placer County Building Permit: required for any Plumbing Modifications within the footprint of the Home.  (Cal. Plumbing Code 104.0.) 

Placer County Building Services may be reached directly for any permit related questions.  For Grading permits: (530) 581-6227.  For Building Permits: (530) 581-6200.

Step by Step Notification and Construction Process

  1. The District will send an annual outreach to all customers who will be affected by future projects. 
  2. For customers affected the next construction season, the District will notify customers of the public hearing date when the Board of Directors will set the relocation deadline.  

    NTPUD Proposed Water Meter Location

  3. The District will mark proposed meter locations ahead of construction.  Customer may request to adjust the location upon their review of the District staked location.
  • Contact District to coordinate adjustment and obtain schedule for service install for your property
  • Adjustments may be made up to 1 week prior to construction of the service
  1. The District will construct new service box location, leaving your existing service box/meter location in the backyard live.
  2. Customer installs service line from new District service box location to their home.
  3. Prior to backfill of the service line, District requires inspection of work. Call NTPUD at (530) 546-4212 to schedule the "open trench inspection" a minimum of two (2) business days ahead desired inspection date.  
  4. Construction shall be compliant with State and District requirements.  District requirements below.
  1. Once service line is completed, and customer ready to obtain service through the new line, call the NTPUD at (530) 546-4212 a minimum of two (2) business days in advance to schedule the relocation of the water meter out of the existing backyard box to new service box in the front yard and remove the old box.  


The District maintains a list of contractors for the ease of our customers.  May 2020 Excavation and Plumbing Contractor List

Another source of information is the Contractors Association of Truckee Tahoe (CA-TT)  They have helpful information on how to find a contractor and other helpful hints.  

It is your responsibility to be sure that your contractor is licensed!  

Financial Assistance Information

mPower - Property Assessed Clean Energy Financing (PACE)

Through mPower you can finance the waterline replacement as well as water or energy conservation projects, with a payback term of up to 10 years, and repay it through your annual property tax bill.

Click here for a one sheet of information on mPower

Visit the mPower website

Those interested in taking advantage of the mPower program must attend an mPower seminar as part of the application process.  Please contact the District's Engineering Department to be put on a list to be notified of any area seminars.  

Local Bank Options

Both Bank of the West and Plumas Bank have indicated that they have a variety of loan products available.  


Being neighbors is more than just geography. Financing available

USDA Loans and Grants

Single Family Housing Direct Home Loans

Also known as the Section 502 Direct Loan Program, this program assists low- and very-low-income applicants obtain decent, safe and sanitary housing in eligible rural areas by providing payment assistance to increase an applicant’s repayment ability. Payment assistance is a type of subsidy that reduces the mortgage payment for a short time. The amount of assistance is determined by the adjusted family income.

Rural Home Loans Fact Sheet (PDF)

Single Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants

Also known as the Section 504 Home Repair program, this provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards.

Repair Loans & Grants Fact Sheet (PDF)

History of Board Action: 

At their May 10, 2005 Board of Directors Meeting, the Board adopted Resolution 2005-8 which established policy direction related to the need for rehabilitation of the Kings Beach Grid Water System. It is with this resolution that Board direction was provided to staff that the responsibility to reconnect to new water or sewer mains in the front of the property is that of the property owner. It also laid out a process for developers of vacant properties in the grid to be allowed to connect to the existing system on an interim basis. 
Resolution 2005-8

At their November 13, 2006 meeting the Board of Directors adopted Ordinance 361 which indicates that the reconnection of a private sewer or water service lateral connection is the responsibility of each property owner to relocate the water service for their property at their own expense when connections are moved from the backyard to the front yard. 
Ordinance 361

At their August 14, 2007 the Board heard a presentation of the Kings Beach Grid Water System Rehabilitation Report by Auerbach Engineering.

At their September 11, 2007 meeting, the Board of Directors adopted the Kings Beach Grid Water System Rehabilitation Technical Report.

Since that time, if a property owner is doing grading in the Kings Beach Grid or other places where a line is not in the street, staff notes on the response for that the District suggests that they install a dry line as part of their intended project.


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Why is the District doing this project?

    The District has existing aged and undersized water mains located in back yards outside of public right of ways, which the District has limited access in order to repair and maintain the infrastructure. These undersized mains are also not up to current standards and are insufficient for fire protection.

  2. Why do “I” have to relocate my service? Why doesn’t the District do it for me or pay for it?

    In 2006, the District Board of Directors adopted an Ordinance putting the responsibility for relocating private water services on the property owner at the property owner’s expense. The District’s obligation is to install the new main, fire hydrants, and service lines to the property. It is the customer’s obligation, both physically and financially, to relocate their private service line to the new point of connection. The end result is that public improvements are on public lands and private improvements are on private property.

  3. How does the District determine meter locations?

    Locations are based on what the District felt was the most practical location for the property. These locations aim to minimize disturbance making it as easy as possible for the owner to connect their home to the new location. However, without knowing the property owner's opinion, the option is available for the owner to adjust the final location. See Step #3 of the Notification and Construction process above.

  4. My house is on the corner; how do I know if I am connected to the backyard main?

    The District has meter location cards on file for all of our water customers. If you would like a copy of the location card for your property, please call our office at (530) 546-4212. One of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to send it to you.

  5. Can I install my new service line before the District gets to my street?

    Yes. The District encourages anyone planning on doing any excavation or other major work, such as extensive landscaping or paving, to install a “dry” water service line. The District will require an open trench inspection, at no charge, which we will use to note the location of your dry water service. Then, when we install the main in your street, we will connect to your dry service line. Please refer to our website,, for the step-by-step process and other valuable information.

  6. What is the owner’s responsibility for connection?

    The owner is required to install their new service line from the building to the new customer side shut-off valve provided at the street.

  7. What is a “construction” season?

    For general earth moving activities, the construction season is defined as May 1 to October 15 (TRPA Ord. 33.3.1 A)

  8. How much will this cost me?

    Feedback from local contractors is that many of these types of projects are an average of $3,000. However, the costs can vary depending on the following conditions:
    • Asphalt
    • Conflicting utilities
    • Landscaping/Irrigation
    • Access (fences, trees, buildings, etc.)
    • Length of service required
    • Rock
    Things property owners can do to help reduce the costs are:
    • Coordinating with your neighbors to use the same contractor at the same time
    • Owner providing better access (removing fences, etc.)
    • Digging trench yourself

  9. Who can do this kind of work?

    Either a properly licensed contractor or property owner.

  10. Who does the District recommend to install my new service line?

    As a public agency, the District cannot recommend a particular contractor to do private work. The District has a list of local plumbing and excavating contractors who have requested to be included on our list for this type of work. It is up to the individual property owners to verify licensure and references.

  11. Can I do the work myself?

    Yes, as long as the District’s standards are followed.

  12. What inspections by the District are required?

    The District requires an open trench inspection prior to backfilling the new trench.

  13. How big does my trench need to be?

    The depth of the trench needs to be 40” (4” of bedding material and 36” of cover over the water line).

  14. When do I have to connect to the new point of service?

    Property owners have up to two construction seasons after the new main is installed to connect to the new point of service. The final connection date is set by the Board for each project.

  15. What permits might I need?

    It is the responsibility of the property owner and their contractor to comply with any and all permits that may be required for the installation of the new water services. See Construction Hints and Information above.

  16. What will happen if I don’t relocate my service by the deadline set by the Board?

    At the end of the two year period, the District will be shutting down the backyard main. Any properties which have not relocated their private service lines will be disconnection from the water main.

  17. What is the benefit to me?

    • After everyone has reconnected to the new water main, the District will be releasing the backyard water easements, no longer encumbering the property (where possible)
    • Improved water pressure for domestic use and fire protection
    • More fire hydrants, which meet current standards
    • System reliability

  18. When will my street be completed? There isn’t an estimated construction date on the map.

    The next Grid project will be Golden Avenue, but timing is still TBD. The District has an opportunity to partner with another utility on a project elsewhere in the District so engineering staff are working to finalize project dates.

    The District has been working to complete a street approximately every two (2) years; but there can be many variables as to when we will do the project including funding, priority (water leaks, etc.), County-driven projects, opportunities to partner with other utilities, etc. It is likely that all of the grid will be completed within the next 10 years.