Recreation and Parks
Parks and Facilities
In 1968 the North Tahoe Public Utility District Board of Directors created the Parks Department to oversee the development of the former sewer ponds into the North Tahoe Regional Park. Over the years, many facilities have been developed in the Park either by volunteers, District employees or State or Local grants. Since then, the District has also acquired and begun redevelopment of the Tahoe Vista Recreation Area, a public beach and boat launch facility, at the intersection of Highway 28 and National Avenue in Tahoe Vista. In addition to maintaining Parks and Facilities owned by the District, the North Tahoe Public Utility District also manages and maintains most of the public beaches in our District that are owned by other public agencies such as the California Tahoe Conservancy, California State Parks, Department of Boating and Waterways or Placer County.
North Tahoe Event Center
The North Tahoe Event Center is owned and operated by the North Tahoe Public Utility District. This lakefront facility in the heart of Kings Beach offers wedding, meeting, conference, and event space for up to 400 guests. In addition, the Event Center also hosts many local events and fundraisers.
The North Tahoe Event Center is also the home of recreation classes within our District including:
- Jazzercise combines elements of easy to follow jazz dance moves, strength training, pilates, yoga, kickboxing and more for a total body workout for people of every age and fitness level.
- Monday - Saturday - 8:45 - 10:00 AM, Tuesday/Thursday - 5:30 - 6:30 PM
Kings Beach Yoga Kula
- Classes are taught by Shari Beard who has been gratefully teaching yoga at the North Tahoe Event Center for the past 10 years. Shari has a strong foundation in alignment based Hatha yoga. She loves to share how the practice of asana and meditation supports us in living from the heart. She is passionate about building community (Kula) and do not be surprised if you end up at a potluck on the beach or going out to eat after class with the group. For more info go to sharibeardyoga.com or call (530)318-4065. Also like us on Facebook Kings Beach Yoga Kula and Shari Beard Yoga.
- Tuesday - 5:45 - 7:15 PM
- Thursday - 9:00 AM - 10:15 AM
- The unique Zumba Latin inspired international music and dance steps create a dynamic, exciting and effective fitness system.
- Friday, Saturday - 9:00 - 10:00 AM
- Thursday – 5:30 PM
Group Guitar Class - Will resume in the fall.
- This class is for kids (age 8 and up) or adults who want to learn to play guitar. Learn in a relaxed setting from a friendly and knowledgeable instructor. This class will focus on learning the basics of playing guitar. We will cover topics including, but not limited to: Tuning, Chords, Strumming, Melodies, Chord Progressions, Music Theory, Signing, Folk/Campfire Songs.
- Thursday - 5:30 - 6:30 PM
- Taught by local musician, Kerry Andras
These classes are available for drop in. We are always looking for experts to teach classes at the North Tahoe Event Center. Contact us if you are interested.
Through an agreement with North Tahoe Arts, the Center also provides art exhibits that rotate approximately every three months. These shows are free and open to the public anytime the Center is open.